Wish to Hire a Choreographer For Your Wedding? Follow the Guidelines
Music and dance are as important part of a wedding as food, drink, and a wedding venue. Like you cannot take any risk with the latter and hire the best caterer in town, similarly, you should not take any chance with the entertainment. Hire a professional choreographer for your Mehendi & Sangeet and get your dance moves correctly. After all, you would want to be absolutely flawless with whatever you do on your D-Day and create the necessary impression on others. On that note, we bring to you some guidelines that you must follow while hiring the services for a choreographer.
Check the references
Though we don’t want to repeat ourselves but as we always say look for references. Ask your friends, colleagues, and relatives if they know any choreographer or have recently worked with any. However, never mind, if they don’t know because there is always ‘Google’ to your rescue. Search for the best choreographers online, visit their websites and go through all the information as given. Good if there are testimonials and videos on the websites which will give you an in-depth insight into their work.
Know what you want
Though it should have topped the list, decide on the kind of dance you want to perform. While you can go for the Bollywood dance and rock the party with impeccable moves, you can stage Indian classical dance to impress your Mom & Grand Mom. Salsa or Jazz with your partner would also be a great choice if you want to do something out-of-the-box in your wedding. So, now when you have decided on the dance form, look out for a choreographer as per your requirement.
Decide on the budget
You already must have spent a lot of money on your wedding venue, shopping, caterer, and florist. So, now, it’s not advisable to shed off unreasonable amount on hiring a choreographer. Draw a budget and search accordingly. This will narrow down your search list and help you to hire someone within the budget.
Meet in person
Deciding on the dance type and going through the websites are not enough for hiring a professional choreographer. You need to meet them in person and correspond. Talk to them as much as possible and see if you are comfortable working with. If you are, then go ahead or else, keep looking for more.
Make your expectation clear
Explain to your choreographer about the kind of performance you want to stage on your Sangeet and Mehendi and the overall theme of the party. This will help him/her to choreograph the steps as per your choice and convenience. Also, tell him/her if you are not comfortable with any particular steps or find it too difficult for you. Well, do not miss to mention if you have any medical constraint from performing any specific dance steps.
There is no substitute for this step. Probe your choreographer as much as possible and get things clear beforehand. Here gives a list of some important questions that you simply can’t afford to miss.
1) Are you available on my wedding date?
2) Since how long have you been in this profession?
3) Do you have any formal training on dancing? If yes, which institute did you go to?
4) What is your genre? Western, Classical or Contemporary?
5) What sets you apart from the rest of the choreographers in town?
6) Can you provide me with some of your references so that I can contact them and verify?
7) Do you give training alone or you have a troupe?
8) Have you ever choreographed for a wedding ceremony?
9) Will you and your troupe perform with me in my Sangeet and Mehendi?
10) Will you charge extra if you perform?
11) Do you have a video record of your previously choreographed wedding performances?
12) Will you choose the songs which I will perform upon or should I do it myself?
13) Will you choreograph for my friends and family members?
14) Can you choreograph a fusion dance for me (a blend of western & classical)?
15) Will you suggest me a costume that I will wear for my performance?
16) Will you choreograph in such a way that will keep a room for my partner to come and dance with me?
17) Where will the rehearsal take place? Will you come to my house or should I go to your studio?
18) Will you coordinate with my makeup artist to tell her how my makeup should be for the performance?
19) Will you coordinate with my decorator about the stage decor and lighting?
20) How much do you charge for the entire package? Do you charge extra if you are asked to choreograph for my friends and family members?
21) Do you charge for extra sessions and overtime?
22) Do you charge extra for the transportation if you come to my house for the rehearsals?
23) Is there any hidden cost that might pop up towards the end of the contract?