Ultimate Guidelines For Hiring A Wedding Makeup Artist
You must have already booked your wedding venue and hired a wedding caterer and photographer. Now comes another most important part of the wedding planning. It’s time to hire that person who will be going to make your skin looks flawless and your eyes dramatic as you desire. Yes, you guessed us right! We are talking about the wedding makeup artist here.
As you all know finding and hiring a makeup artist is fun but can be a little tricky at the same time. So, laying a helping hand to you, we offer a complete guideline for appointing a suitable makeup artist for your D-Day.
Start finding a makeup artist from much before
If you are lazing around thinking that there’s a hell lot of time, then let me remind you that finding a suitable wedding makeup artist is not a cake piece. You need to search for a bunch first, then consult them and go for rounds of trials, followed by the comparative study. So, there’s actually a long to-do list before hiring a desirable makeup artist. And on that note…
Start doing your research
Begin the process with necessary research work. Visit the websites of the makeup artists and view their portfolios to understand their style. However, it’s true that what you see in the pictures are the outcomes after a lot of edit and retouch so, what you actually need is seeing some real time brides. Another good way is to ask your friends and relatives if they know any artist whom they have recently worked with. Recommendations from the people you know and trust work the best.
Decide on the budget
Between the dresses, flowers, and wedding cakes, it is ridiculously easy to spiral out of the money when planning a wedding. Hence, it is much advised to decide on the budget while looking for a makeup artist (as you do for other wedding vendors). This will narrow down your search and help you to negotiate in a better way.
Know what you want
In fact, this should have topped the list! Be sure of what you want and how you want. While there are some brides who want to keep it simple and highlight their natural look, there are others who want to dazzle the wedding aisle. Identify what is your style and explain it to your makeup artist. Speak up during trials and let them know how you wear your daily makeup and what colours you like the most. This will help him to understand your taste.
Traits you should look for
Hire someone who has a charming personality and sense of reassurance that you are in safe hands. What important is, to work with a person who is confident at his task. His expertise is of course what you should look for, but ensure that the artist is reliable, responsible and comfortable to work with. Also, check the credibility of the person as to whether he shows up on time and use the same brands that he commits.
Ask, ask & ask more
Keep on probing your make artist unless you get satisfactory answers. Below given are some of the important questions that you must ask. Sure they will make your task a lot more easier.
1) Are you available on my wedding date?
2) How do I book you?
3) Do I require you to pay anything in advance?
4) Will you do my make-up alone or should you get an assistant along?
5) What if you cannot make on my wedding date? Will you provide any replacement?
6) How many weddings and receptions have you done before?
7) Since how many years are you in this biz?
8) Where did you learn to apply makeup?
9) Do you have a portfolio? May I have a look through it?
10) Do you have a website or Facebook page that I can go through?
11) Can you give me a few references? May I contact them?
12) What methods of payment do you accept? Check, card or cash?
13) Will you take other assignments on my wedding day?
14) Can you do the same makeup for me if I show you a picture?
15) What kinds/brands of products do you use?
16) How long will the makeup stay?
17) Do you use waterproof or sweatproof products?
18) Will you share any tips to keep the makeup fresh all day long?
19) Will you use matt-finish makeup or glossy makeup?
20) Do you use special products for those who have sensitive or acne-prone skin?
21) Do you do airbrush makeup?
22) Do you do wedding hair?
23) Will you come with a hair dresser? Will you charge extra for it?
24) Will you travel some distance if it is a destination wedding or if the venue is not close to your vicinity?
25) Do you charge extra for travelling?
26) Will you do a trial run with me before my wedding day? Do you charge extra for it?
27) Where will the trial take place? Will you come to my house or should I come to your studio?
28) When are you available for the trial?
29) Would you like to take a look at my wedding outfit and jewellery as to understand the type of makeup to be done?
29) Should I bring my veil and accessories to the trial?
30) Will you do makeup for my bridesmaids/sister/friends and mom too? What would be the cost for that?
31) Will you agree to use some of my products for the makeup?
32) Will you provide the garlands and hair accessories or do I have to get on my own?
33) Will you be available around for touch-ups?